x
3G/HSPA

Yankee Explodes Enterprise Myth

If you though the enterprise sector was going to deliver a healthy chunk of data revenues for western European mobile operators in the next five years, think again, says a senior analyst at the Yankee Group. Talking at a wireless LAN conference in London today, Yankee's European director of wireless research Declan Lonergan told the audience that mobile operators could expect to derive just 8 percent of their mobile data revenues (totaling about $43 billion) from enterprise users in 2007. "Less than 10 percent is realistic. We present these numbers to operators, and we get a number of different views back, but many have figures in the same ballpark," stated Lonergan. Of this $43 billion, Yankee believe just 4 percent will come from public WLAN services, with the remaining 96 percent coming from GSM, GPRS, EDGE and 3G. Given these figures, says Lonergan, it is no wonder that for many major mobile operators, such as Vodafone Group plc (NYSE: VOD), are focusing their efforts on their core businesses, and not being distracted by WiFi. "3G will fail or succeed on its own merits – WLAN is not its greatest threat," believes Lonergan. The Yankee man was presenting at SMi's "Public Wireless LAN" conference." — Ray Le Maistre, European Editor, Unstrung
untethered 12/4/2012 | 9:15:55 PM
re: Yankee Explodes Enterprise Myth 43B/year in 5 years? Have we all died and gone to heaven?

Can somebody with access to Yankee's reports please let me know what they think the size of the market is today?

BTW, GSM as a contributor to wireless data revenue? Am I missing something?

I just wanted to end this post with a sentence that didn't end with a question mark.

spc_rayella 12/4/2012 | 9:15:53 PM
re: Yankee Explodes Enterprise Myth For western Europe, Yankee has about $10 billion for 2001 and about $13 billion for 2002, including all forms of data revenues, including SMS (which provides nearly all of it for these two years).
For any more details you'd have to go to Yankee itself, I guess....
UnstrungRay
spc_myles_telos 12/4/2012 | 9:15:45 PM
re: Yankee Explodes Enterprise Myth You'd be surprised, GSM CSD and HSCSD are very popular even today for certain apps. Certainly SMS is huge as well.

M.
lrmobile_6381891 12/4/2012 | 9:12:31 PM
re: Yankee Explodes Enterprise Myth Biggest chunk is coming from SMS and will stay that way for the next couple of years

and who is using the expensive CSD & HSCSD...and with what? WAP? :-( this has to be a small percentage
HOME
SIGN IN
SEARCH
CLOSE
MORE
CLOSE