The spate of chip announcements culminated at the recent Supercomm show when no fewer than four semiconductor manufacturers unveiled new developments:
- Galazar Networks Inc. announced a multichannel Ethernet mapper (see Galazar Intros Multichannel Mapper).
- Infineon Technologies AG (NYSE/Frankfurt: IFX) announced a “cost efficient data transport over Sonet/SDH” strategy (see Infineon Showcases Broadband Porfolio).
- PMC-Sierra Inc. (Nasdaq: PMCS) announced an add/drop multiplexer (ADM) on a chip. Startup Parama Networks Inc. also showed its ADM-on-a-chip at Supercomm, although its product targets higher-end systems (see ADMs Get Smaller, Cheaper).
- TranSwitch Corp. (Nasdaq: TXCC) announced a customer, France’s Sagem SA, for its Ethernet-over-SDH chipsets (see Sagem Selects TranSwitch).
The Light Reading Insider report, published today, points out that the first merchant silicon to support GFP appeared only three years ago. Now there are 30 products in the market for sampling, from ten vendors. The report, by Simon Stanley, founder and principal consultant of Earlswood Marketing Ltd., provides a detailed competitive breakdown of all 30 products, based on tables that compare key characteristics.
The vendors surveyed are:
- Agere Systems Inc. (NYSE: AGR.A)
- Applied Micro Circuits Corp. (AMCC) (Nasdaq: AMCC)
- Arrive Technologies Inc.
- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NYSE: CY)
- Galazar Networks Inc.
- Infineon Technologies AG (NYSE/Frankfurt: IFX)
- Intel Corp. (Nasdaq: INTC)
- PMC-Sierra Inc. (Nasdaq: PMCS)
- TranSwitch Corp. (Nasdaq: TXCC)
- Vitesse Semiconductor Corp. (Nasdaq: VTSS)
— Pauline Rigby, Senior Editor, Light Reading
Annual subscriptions to Light Reading Insider, comprising 12 monthly reports, start at $1,350 per year. Click here for more information.
For more on this topic, check out:
- The coming Light Reading Webinar:
— Ethernet Over Sonet/SDH
- The Light Reading Insider report:
— Next-Gen Sonet/SDH Chip Survey
- The Heavy Reading report:
— The Future of Sonet/SDH
Archives of Related Light Reading Webinars: