Rumor: Cisco to Reveal Access & Core Plans
Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO) has some kind of big-deal announcement coming up March 9; you might even have seen ads for it on certain trade publications' Websites.
The SiliconAngle blog thinks it's cracked the case, saying Cisco is launching a massive and multifaceted play to define the future high-speed network.
The pieces supposedly include:
- A new set-top resembling Apple TV, with capabilities to handle Internet video and telepresence.
- A high-speed broadband access offering, handled via partnerships with service providers. The Financial Times had predicted this last month.
- An upgrade to the CRS-1, to 140 Gbit/s per slot. Previous rumors said the CRS-1 upgrade would reach only 120 Gbit/s per slot. (See Rumor: Cisco Prepping CRS-1 Successor.)
- Content delivery offerings that include low-end telepresence.
- Some kind of "vision" to wrap all this together, because that's what big companies like to do.
— Craig Matsumoto, West Coast Editor, Light Reading