It was a year of transformation for Cisco, as the networking giant transformed its own business so it could better partner with service providers and enterprises to transform theirs.
2018 saw big changes in Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO)'s service provider business, with Yvette Kanouff, the SVP and GBM of that business unit, leaving the company. Jonathan Davidson, who joined Cisco from Juniper Networks Inc. (NYSE: JNPR) a couple of years ago, took the helm.
Under Kanouff's leadership this year, Cisco sold its video software business to a private equity firm, Permira .
In other news in 2018, Cisco saw mounting threats from VMware Inc. (NYSE: VMW) and white boxes, acquired some companies and beefed up network automation.
Here are Light Reading's most popular stories, blogs and videos about Cisco that we published in 2018:
- Cisco Blends Viptela SD-WAN Into Router Stack
- Cisco Dumps Video Software Biz, Ends NDS Era
- Cisco & Google's Kubernetes Partnership Could Deliver in October
- Cisco Unveils 'Crosswork' – a Grand Plan to Automate SP Networks
- Cisco Goes Back to School With Tetration
- VMware Takes On Cisco & Juniper With Network Vision
- Cisco's Multi-Year Buying Binge
- Cisco Bows to Carrier Demand for Software Outside the Box
- The World of Disney: StudioLAB Innovation, Cisco Collaboration & 5G Anticipation
- Cisco: Service Provider Revenues Grow, but the 5G Bonanza Is Yet to Come
- Cisco Lands One on Ericsson With Open vRAN Initiative
- Cisco Closes Sale of Video Software Unit to Permira
- Nokia's Nuage Takes On Cisco & VMware With 'SD-WAN 2.0'
- Cisco & Amazon Bring Public Cloud On-Prem
- Cisco to Acquire UK Networking Software Specialist
- Cisco on the Packet-Optical Prowl – Rumor
- Ericsson Links 5G Hands With Juniper & ECI, Snubs Cisco & Ciena
- Unknown Document 744497
- VMware Challenges Cisco With AWS & Microsoft Pacts
- Bye Bye Cisco Video Software, Hello Synamedia
- How VMware Plans to Put the Screws on Cisco
- Will Amazon White Box Switches Take On Cisco, Juniper & Arista?
- Cisco's Top Service Provider Exec Jumps Ship
— Mitch Wagner Executive Editor, Light Reading