AT&T Granted India License

NEW DELHI, India -- AT&T Global Network Services India Private Limited (AT&T India), a joint venture which is majority-owned by AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) (AT&T), has become the first foreign telecom operator in India to secure National Long Distance/International Long Distance (NLD/ILD) licenses to serve global and India-headquartered companies with advanced telecommunications services.

Today’s announcement was made possible by the Indian Government’s new policy of November 2005 on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), which allows up to 74% foreign ownership for companies doing business in the country. AT&T owns 74% of AT&T India while the remaining 26% equity is held by Mahindra Telecommunications Investment Private Limited.

AT&T presently supports its global customer requirements in India through a cooperation agreement with a local licensed service provider, consistent with government regulations. Once AT&T India becomes operational later this year, AT&T India will directly serve the corporate enterprise market – including the multinational company, information technology-enabled service companies , software and business process outsourcing sectors, comprising of companies headquartered in India and globally.

AT&T Global Network Services

Be the first to post a comment regarding this story.
Sign In