BARCELONA -- Nokia's next generation AirScale Radio Access will radically alter the way networks are built. Operators will be able to use Nokia AirScale Radio Access to profitably satisfy future demands including the Internet of Things, virtual reality, augmented reality, factories of the future and other advanced scenarios such as video that demand extreme performance. The first demonstration of Nokia AirScale Radio Access live, with 5G-ready* air interface is being shown at Mobile World Congress 2016.
Nokia is launching a new, complete radio access generation, including cloud-based Radio Access Network (RAN) designed for open interfaces. Nokia Airscale can run all radio technologies simultaneously in one base station; use any architecture topology**, be scaled to virtually unlimited capacity; and it uses 60 percent less energy than even Nokia's existing, market-leading radio access platform. Furthermore, Nokia AirScale is extremely versatile and compact, allowing it to be installed in novel locations using any available transport and be effectively hidden from view.
Nokia AirScale Radio Access - the highlights:
- Supports any radio technology (2G, 3G, TDD-LTE, FDD-LTE, LTE Advanced, LTE Advanced Pro) running simultaneously in the base station as Single RAN, integrates carrier-grade Wi-Fi access and is 5G-ready
- Baseband units can be chained to create virtually unlimited capacity and connectivity to meet the needs of massive IoT connectivity and 5G speeds
- The Cloud RAN uses Nokia's powerful AirFrame*** IT hardware that meets stringent radio access capacity, security and latency requirements
- Implements Mobile Edge Computing (MEC) on the same servers as Cloud RAN for easy integration of applications that can use information from the radio for low latency services
- Nokia's future-proof management solution, Nokia NetAct and Nokia CloudBand TM, can be used for both legacy radio networks and new Cloud RAN, offering easy transformation to virtualization
Nokia AirScale Radio Access solution components at a glance:
- Nokia AirScale Base Station, which includes new multiband RF elements and system modules
- Cloud RAN with Nokia AirScale Cloud Base Station Server running on Nokia AirFrame data center solution
- Nokia AirScale Wi-Fi, including Wi-Fi Access points and Nokia AirScale Wi-Fi Controller running on Nokia AirFrame data center solution
- Common software across Nokia's radio access including small cells
- Supported by services that utilise intelligent analytics and extreme automation to maximise the performance of hybrid networks
Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK)