The Light Reading Mobile team has been hiding in the undergrowth, skulking around the halls, and hanging around vino collapso-fueled post-show drinkathons to figure it out.
Not only that, we've consulted out in-house bookmaker to come up with odds, so get ready to place your bets…
Most likely to be acquired:
- Odds on Sequans being the next company to be acquired -- even-money favorite.
- Odds on Altair being the next company to be acquired -- 3/1 second favorite.
- Odds on Icera being the next company to be acquired -- 5/1 outsider.
Most likely to acquire:
Qualcomm started its move into the orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) market in 2005 with the US$600 million acquisition of Flarion. OFDM is the base technology behind both LTE and WiMax. (See Qualcomm Calls on Flarion.)
- Odds on Qualcomm being the next company to acquire -- even-money favorite.
- Odds on Freescale being the next company to acquire -- even-money joint favorite.
- Odds on Intel being the next company to acquire -- 11/8 runner-up.
It should be noted that time and asking price are a factor in any possible buyouts. Qualcomm and Intel are quickly adding multi-modal capabilities for LTE, and any lead that the startups had is likely to fade during the course of the year.
— Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile, and Ray Le Maistre, International Managing Editor, Light Reading