BETHPAGE, N.Y. -- Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC) today announced that Freewheel, its new low-cost WiFi-exclusive phone service providing unlimited data, talk and text is now available for sale nationwide at Freewheel.com. The service, available on the Motorola Moto G smartphone, works anywhere in the world where WiFi is accessible, and will operate only when the device is connected to a WiFi signal. Freewheel provides the next generation of connectivity, allowing customers to tap into the wealth of WiFi that surrounds them and continues to grow every day. Freewheel offers a better, faster data experience than slower and overpriced cellular service.
“Cellular was built for voice and WiFi was built for data, which is why WiFi is the preferred choice for data usage today,” said Kristin Dolan, chief operating officer of Cablevision. “Freewheel integrates a high quality device backed by the strength of our professionally maintained carrier-grade WiFi network. As the thirst for data continues to grow, Freewheel provides consumers with a better, faster data experience, all at a fraction of the cost of cellular.”
As the first all-WiFi service to be introduced by a cable provider, Freewheel offers market-leading services and features including:
- Connectivity anywhere in the world where you are connected to WiFi as well as automatic access to 1.1 million Optimum WiFi hotspots across the New York tri-state area, which include indoor and outdoor locations and an expanding network of residential hotspots
- A low monthly price of $29.95 or $9.95 for Cablevision’s Optimum Online customers, which is up to 80 percent less expensive than leading cellular offerings
- Availability on the Motorola Moto G, a popular Android device that was recently rated the “best low-cost smartphone” by the Wall Street Journal. The device is for sale at a heavily discounted price of $99.95
- Attractive international calling plans, a 30-day refund policy and no annual contract
- Truly unlimited data, talk and text, unlike many so-called “unlimited” cellular plans. Freewheel is always “all you can eat,” with no overage charges, ever.
Freewheel will introduce additional features in the coming weeks and months that will underscore WiFi’s superiority over the legacy cellular model.
Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC)