Sponsored By

Cogent Makes Offer For Globalstar

Court approves sale of Globalstar assets to Thermo Capital Partners; Cogent makes competing offer

November 25, 2003

2 Min Read

NEW YORK -- Globalstar, LP, a satellite telephone company, received approval on November 20 in a court hearing before Judge Peter Walsh at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware for a sale of its assets to Thermo Capital Partners LLC. The Court also granted a $1.9 million break-up fee and other bidder protections for Thermo.

During the Court hearing, Cogent Communications Group, Inc. (American Stock Exchange Symbol COI) also indicated its desire to engage in a transaction.

Cogent believes that its offer, based on the last 20 days average closing prices of Cogent stock, would include more than $100 million in fully registered, freely tradable Cogent stock to be distributed to Globalstar creditors. The Creditors Committee is in the midst of its due diligence on the proposed Cogent transaction and has no opinion on this valuation.

Under the terms of the Thermo deal, Thermo will pay $43 million in cash and assume $10 million in debt in exchange for Globalstar's assets and an 81.25 percent stake in the new company. Globalstar will retain the remaining 18.75 percent to pay unsecured creditors. In addition, Globalstar's creditors will have the right to purchase additional equity interests in the reorganized company. It is expected that the parties to the Thermo transaction shall execute definitive documents by December 2, 2003.

The possibility exists that some other party may make an offer to purchase substantially all of the assets of Globalstar. In such event, Globalstar and its Official Creditors Committee will review any such offer to determine whether it represents more value than the Thermo transaction.

Statement by Van Greenfield, Chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors for Globalstar, LP: "I am pleased with the outcome of the November 20 hearing before Judge Walsh in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware.

"The hearing established Thermo as the current highest and best offer for the primary assets of Globalstar. Cogent Communications also outlined a competing offer during courtroom proceedings. Consistent with its fiduciary duties, the Creditors Committee is actively evaluating this proposal and is conducting due diligence to make a final recommendation to the Court."

Cogent Communications Group Inc.

Globalstar LP

Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes it's completely free.

You May Also Like