Prabhu will be based in Dallas.
Why this matters
It matters because we've known Prabhu for years, and it's the most prominent post he's taken since leaving Tellabs Inc. (Nasdaq: TLAB; Frankfurt: BTLA) in 2008. In other words, it's just kind of cool.
Prabhu needs no introduction to Light Reading's longtime readers. He was chief operating officer of Alcatel before the Lucent part came along. In 2001, he became a venture capitalist with Morgenthaler, just in time to ride the worst of the downturn.
He might be best remembered as CEO of Tellabs starting in 2004, presiding over the AFC acquisition, some weak business years and repeated speculation about Tellabs getting acquired.
Prabhu left Tellabs voluntarily, submitting his resignation in late 2007. Most recently, he did a few months as interim CEO of Tekelec .
Here's a pre-HD video of Prabhu from 2005. (Remember "echo boomers?")
Prabhu also appears in this 2005 video, but really, we're sharing it to show off Steve Saunders with longer hair and a tie! (Contrast with the Web 2.0 version.)
And here's a reverse chronological look at Prabhu's career:
- Krish Prabhu to Run AT&T Labs
- Tekelec Names New CEO
- Plastina Out, Prabhu In at Tekelec
- Tekelec Adds Prabhu
- Prabhu Quits as Tellabs CEO
- Is Nokia Siemens Tailing Tellabs?
- Ma Bell Merger Thumps Tellabs
- Who's Going to Buy Tellabs?
- Tellabs CEO: Midsized Is Rightsized
- Honey, I Shrunk the Price
- Tellabs Buys AFC for $1.9 Billion
- Tellabs Names Prabhu as New CEO
- Prabhu Joins Morgenthaler
- Alcatel Makes Management Moves (Prabhu's resignation from Alcatel.)
- Lucent/Alcatel Rumors Fly
- Alcatel COO to Chair Supercomm Panel
— Craig Matsumoto, West Coast Editor, Light Reading