Why this matters
Broadcom becomes the first chip vendor to stake a claim on the 10Gbit/s EPON market. It's a sign that the entrance of Broadcom and Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (Nasdaq: MRVL) will be a serious challenge for PON-chip competition.
Other players such as BroadLight Inc. , Cortina Systems Inc. and PMC-Sierra Inc. (Nasdaq: PMCS) have been in the PON market longer, but Broadcom and Marvell gain some benefits from being giants. For example, Broadcom's relationships with foundries will help expedite development of the BCM55030, which was originally designed by Teknovus, a Broadcom acquisition, says Chris Moezzi, Broadcom senior director of product marketing.
Here's what's been going on with Broadcom, Marvell and 10Gbit/s EPON.
- Broadcom Intros 10G EPON Chip
- Broadcom Goes With GPON Gateway
- Broadcom Targets China
- BBWF 2010: 10G GPON Hits Europe
- Broadcom Does GPON Gateway SoC
- No Sure Bets in NG PONs
- CommunicAsia 2010: ZTE Overtakes AlcaLu in Broadband Battle
- MSO Taps ZTE for 10G EPON Test
- Hitachi Announces 10G EPON
- Anritsu, Mindspeed Show 10G EPON
- Broadcom to Acquire Teknovus
- Marvell Jumps Into PON
- Rumor: Teknovus Gets Eyed, Marvell Gets GPON
— Craig Matsumoto, West Coast Editor, Light Reading