WiCipedia: The Solutions Edition
This week in our Women in Comms roundup we compile stories offering practical solutions and tips for increasing the number and prominence of women in the tech industry.
- making STEM fun through prize challenge competitions to capture interest early as studies suggest the majority of students who decide to pursue STEM do so in high school;
- requiring coding in school;
- instituting virtual mentoring and internship programs with prominent companies;
- engaging the sports and entertainment industries to help promote STEM and lend it "cool" credibility;
- changing the curriculum at vocational and community colleges to accommodate mid-career professionals looking to change industries;
- launching programs to help women in the field become certified as teachers, since female teachers have been shown to encourage girls to pursue STEM more.
- seek forgiveness, not permission in applying for jobs that may seem out of reach, going to events, embracing failure and staying visible;
- get a side gig and learn as much as you can;
- network and always hustle;
- find a mentor and take advantage of training;
- be determined and tenacious.
— Sarah Thomas, , Director, Women in Comms
COMMENTS Add Comment