SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Big Switch Networks announced significant updates to its Big Monitoring Fabric and Big Cloud Fabric, and introduced Community Edition. Big Switch Community Edition is based on a freemium model.
Big Switch is delivering new capabilities in Big Monitoring Fabric 5.5, including inline security service chaining, an Intel x86 DPDK service node for advanced network services, and 100G support. Big Cloud Fabric 3.5 delivers deeper integration with VMware vCenter, vRealize Log Insight, certification for Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 7, and the ability to logically create vPods that can be associated with different orchestrators to drastically simplify cloud deployments.
Community Edition is an industry-first freemium offering for data center networking. The software is a perpetual license of both Big Monitoring Fabric and Big Cloud Fabric that can be downloaded for use in lab and development environments. Community Edition makes it easy for organizations to download software on premise and provides the opportunity to experience the agility, efficiency, ease of management and economics of SDN fabrics and open networking switches.
Community Edition offers a perpetual license for organizations to get started with SDN:
- Big Monitoring Fabric includes software for one switch and VM controller pair
- Big Cloud Fabric includes software for one leaf pair and VM controller pair
Community Edition will run on a specific hardware compatibility list that is published on Big Switch's website. Big Switch also provides optional on-line purchase of compatible switches and cables. Community Edition is free to download at www.bigswitch.com/community-edition
Big Monitoring Fabric 5.5
Big Monitoring Fabric (formerly Big Tap) is a next-generation network packet broker (NPB) that leverages SDN principles and Open Networking switches to provide feature-rich, scale-out data center monitoring at 50% less cost than traditional NPBs. Popular customer use cases for Big Monitoring Fabric include: monitoring every rack, mobile/LTE monitoring, remote DC monitoring & DMZ/Extranet inline security. New capabilities include:
DPDK Advanced Packet Service Node:
- Supports: de-duplication, packet slicing, regex pattern matching services, at multi-10G performance
- Hardware Appliance: an enterprise-class, NEBS Level 3 & ETSI Compliant hardware appliance with 4 x 10G bi-directional interfaces
Advanced Fabric Analytics:
- sFlow Collector, historical time series, DHCP / DNS / ICMP trackers for enhanced monitoring
New switch hardware support:
- Support for high-performance 32x100GbE switches from Dell (Z9100-ON) and Accton (AS7712-32X); also operates in 10GbE/40GbE modes and is future proof for 25GbE/50GbE
- Security Service Chain (inline mode) Enhancements: Driven by cybersecurity needs, the inline mode simplifies deployment and change management of multiple DMZ/Extranet security tools. Enhancements include flexible policy-based service chaining, custom messages for tool health and sub-second health checks.
Big Cloud Fabric 3.5
Big Cloud Fabric is the industry's first leaf/spine SDN fabric to support open networking switches. The Big Cloud Fabric controller acts as a single pane of glass for network provisioning, troubleshooting, visibility and analytics of the entire physical and virtual network environment. New capabilities include:
VMware vSphere Enhanced Network Visibility & Automation
- vCenter 6.0 GUI Plugin that provides visibility and L2/L3 fabric configuration to vCenter admin upon authorization by network admin
- vRealize Log Insight Content Pack to provide cloud admin Big Cloud Fabric visibility and analytics
- OpenStack: Certification with Red Hat OpenStack Platform 7
- vPods with Single Physical Big Cloud Fabric: Support for multiple, isolated vPods, where each vPod can be associated with a different vSphere or OpenStack orchestration
- Security: Cryptographically secure communication between BCF Controller and BCF fabric switches