Microsoft has made claims like that before, but there's a "new urgency" this time, "given that virtualization costs are directly tied to the costs of building private clouds," CRN reports.
Network World parsed through Microsoft's claims, which are based on a specific configuration and a dash of vendor math.
CloudOn's CEO is Milind Gadekar, a former marketing executive with Cisco and P-Cube.
Elsewhere in the cloud (at VMworld and otherwise) this week:
- Interop Announces Carrier Cloud Forum New York
- Carriers Face Cloud Resistance
- Mind Your Language
- Ericsson Debuts New Service Routers
- Brocade Sells Router Subscriptions
- Hype Hurting Enterprise Cloud Confidence
- VMware, Cisco Take the LAN Virtual
- Fujitsu Chases 'Big Data'
- OpSource Starts Certifying Clouds
- NTT's Cloud Uses Cisco
- Silver Peak Goes Virtual
- BT Uses VMTurbo
- NTT Com to Add UCaaS Plan
- NTT Expands Cloud Offerings
- F5 Enhances Virtual Desktop
- EMC Simplifies Virtual Storage
- Dell Launches Cloud Service
— Craig Matsumoto, West Coast Editor, Light Reading