MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- Mirantis, the pure-play OpenStack company, today released Mirantis OpenStack 7.0, dramatically raising the industry bar on stability of large-scale OpenStack clouds in mission-critical enterprise environments. In addition to delivering its most resilient OpenStack distribution to date, Mirantis is extending the support period of the distribution from two years to three. The latest release of Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 is available for download here.
“Early OpenStack releases were all about more features fast, as it was important to gain minimum feature parity to VMware, Microsoft and other cloud solution providers,” said Boris Renski, Mirantis CMO and co-founder. “Today the feature parity gap is largely closed with enterprises such as AT&T, Symantec, Walmart and many other Global 2000 enterprises running OpenStack at massive scale. The development priorities for OpenStack in both the community and at Mirantis have shifted from feature racing to stability at scale and day two operations.”
Beyond raising the bar on stability, Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 continues to remain the most VMware-friendly OpenStack distribution, featuring out-of-the box integration with VMware vCenter while offering choice in networking, including Juniper Contrail and VMware NSX fabrics with more to follow.
New features in Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 lets users:
- Upgrade from previous versions of Mirantis OpenStack with reduced downtime and a new rollback capability;
- Migrate instances from hosts marked for maintenance;
- Write richer Fuel deployment plugins that can define new node roles and reserve virtual IP addresses;
- Specify flexible underlay network topology in a simple manner with network templates;
- Tune control-plane architecture by moving services onto separate controller nodes;
- Deploy controllers on virtual machines for small footprint deployment;
- Build hybrid clouds with hierarchical multi-tenancy;
- Secure integration of control-plane of various IT systems with SSL endpoint encryption;
- Scale North-South traffic with Distributed Virtual Router (DVR);
- Integrate with container platforms, including Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes;
- Simplify bringing VMware environments to the cloud with new functions such as NSX-v and vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS);
- Deploy multiple Hadoop or Spark big data clusters in parallel through new Sahara features and gain additional flexibility via an updated plug-in for HDP v2.2.
Mirantis OpenStack 7.0 is based on OpenStack Kilo, the 11th release of the open source cloud software that has nearly 400 new features to better enable software development, large-scale clouds and big data analysis. It also enables richer OpenStack environments through a number of new features for Cinder, Glance, Horizon, Keystone, Neutron and Sahara. Kilo had 1,492 developers contributing software; more than 150 were from Mirantis. Mirantis, a top three OpenStack contributor, was No. 1 in providing code-fixes, with Mirantis engineers making substantial OpenStack enhancements providing more than 3,000 commits.