The Divide: Where fiber broadband deployment is (and isn't) progressing worldwide2/11/2022
Michael Philpott, research director at Omdia, joins the podcast to discuss Omdia's 2021 Global Fiber Development Index, tracking investments in fiber on a country-by-country basis. According to Omdia (a sister company to Light Reading), while the percentage of the global population that is connected to the Internet will increase from 58% to 70% by 2026, of that 70% only 40% will have access to a fixed-broadband connection.
Here are a few things covered in this podcast episode:
- 04:57: How Singapore, South Korea and China are leading on fiber growth
- 08:54: Why governments need to take a long-term view on fiber deployment
- 10:45: Policy priorities for service providers
Related episodes and links:
- Omdia's 2021 Global Fiber Development Index
- The Divide: How FibreONE is helping bring broadband infrastructure to rural Canada
- The Divide: Shirley Bloomfield on bridging the 'rural-rural' divide
- The Divide: FBA's Gary Bolton on taking fiber advocacy to the states
— Nicole Ferraro, site editor, Broadband World News; senior editor, global broadband coverage, Light Reading. Host of "The Divide" on the Light Reading Podcast.