Some key points:
- Two thirds of carriers feel they are leaders or fast followers in the move to providing digital entertainment such as video on demand (VOD) or IPTV.
- Fifty percent believe the winners in the move to next-gen services will be converged wireline/wireless operators.
- Seventy-five percent of telcos believe their role moving forward will be in providing broadcast IPTV services or broadband network services.
- Operators are pretty equally divided on how they will move to IP networks: About one third plan to move to an overlay network with carrier Ethernet switch routers; one third plan to move to an overlay based on packet optical transport; and about one third plan to build off of a next-generation MSPP based on packet optical technologies.
- On the long-haul side of things, 75 percent of backbone providers are either currently expanding their long-haul networks or have plans to do so this year.
- Forty-five percent of network operators surveyed are investigating 100-Gig or 100-GigE. Only 13 percent have no interest in 100-Gig.