BlackBerry is killing its licensing deal with T-Mobile in the US after bad blood between the device maker and the operator.
BlackBerry has said that it won't renew its licensing deal with T-Mobile US Inc. when it ends on April 25. The ailing device maker, however, says it will continue to support existing customers on the T-Mobile network and any buyers of T-Mobile's existing inventory of BlackBerry devices. (See BlackBerry Q4 Sales Sink to Sub-$1B.)
"BlackBerry has had a positive relationship with T-Mobile for many years. Regretfully, at this time, our strategies are not complementary and we must act in the best interest of our BlackBerry customers. We hope to work with T-Mobile again in the future when our business strategies are aligned," said BlackBerry CEO, John Chen, in a statement.
The spat started in February after T-Mobile started a campaign trying to tempt BlackBerry users onto its network with the offer of an iPhone. It dropped the deal after angry reactions by customers and BlackBerry's Chen, but evidently that wasn't enough to stop this fallout. (See BlackBerry's Chen Lashes Out at T-Mobile Offer.)
T-Mobile CEO John Legere typically takes to Twitter to respond to customers and all kinds of events, but hasn't commented on the latest BlackBerry move so far.
— Dan Jones, Mobile Editor, Light Reading