In what might be the most hotly anticipated mobile product launch of the year so far, the Apple crew unveiled a smaller, lighter and faster version of the world-record-beating tablet.
The basic specifications of this new device include:
- A new "A5" dual-core processor that runs at twice the speed of the A4, according to Engadget
- Up-to-nine-times-better graphics processing performance than its predecessor
- Front and rear-facing cameras, enabling video chat apps
- A new iOS 4.3 operating system with tweaks to multimedia apps to take advantage of the iPad processing power
- The iPad 2 is 33 percent thinner than its older sibling and weighs in at 1.3 pounds, Wired reports
The tablet will be available on both AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) and Verizon Wireless in the U.S. Pricing remains the same at $500 for the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad and $630 for the 16GB iPad with 3G. — Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile