x
Device operating systems

OS Watch: Samsung Disses webOS

Samsung Corp. has no interest in acquiring webOS from HP Inc. (NYSE: HPQ), and its CEO Choi Gee Sung thinks it's not right that buying operating systems is becoming a fashion.

According to Bloomberg, Sung told reporters at IFA that the South Korean company would never pursue such a deal and is instead working "harder than people outside think" to boost the software capabilities of its own OS, bada. (See HP Shuts Down WebOS Device Biz and OS Watch: Who Wants WebOS?)

Samsung has also been successful with mobile devices, including several new sizes, based on Android. And it's plotting Windows Phone smartphones and may soon have an OS option from the Korean government as well. (See OS Watch: Korea Builds Its Own OS.)

  • Sony Ericsson is cool with Google: Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications is sticking with Android too, and it isn't worried about its OS partner becoming its hardware competitor through its acquisition of Motorola Mobility LLC . The vendor tells Reuters that it understands Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) is only trying to protect the entire Android ecosystem by buying Moto. (See Google Plays Favorites With Moto Buy.)

    "Google confirmed that this is not making Google a hardware manufacturer," Sony Ericsson Head of Product Marketing Nikolaus Scheure said, adding that Moto only has around 15 percent of Android market share, so it wouldn't make sense for Google to jeopardize the other 85 percent of its business.

  • China's searches for an OS: China's leading search engine, Baidu, is introducing its first mobile app, a stopgap on its way to a full mobile OS. The Baidu Yi OS, modeled on Android, will be open for apps developers looking to distribute their wares. A new homepage will also feature social networking functionality for Baidu's 200 million users.

  • Microsoft sued for location tracking: Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) is being sued, but not for patents this time. A Michigan woman alleges the Windows Phone 7 OS collects users' location data even when the tracking feature is disabled. Microsoft says the tracking feature, which many apps use for targeted services, is only active if expressly opted in to. But the lawsuit claims that even after the complainant selected "cancel" for the location feature on her WP7 camera, location data was still sent intermittently.

  • HTC bites into Mango: In addition to providing AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) with its first Long Term Evolution (LTE) tablet, High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC) (Taiwan: 2498) unveiled two Windows Phone Mango smartphones at IFA this week in Berlin. The HTC Titan and Radar come preloaded with Tango video chat, but no word on Skype Ltd. integration yet. (See AT&T's First LTE Tab Is for Big Spenders.)

    — Sarah Reedy, Senior Reporter, Light Reading Mobile

  • Be the first to post a comment regarding this story.
    HOME
    Sign In
    SEARCH
    CLOSE
    MORE
    CLOSE