CTIA Calls for 350MHz of Spectrum to Be Auctioned in 2020
WASHINGTON D.C. -- A new study comparing spectrum released in 14 countries illustrates the U.S. mid-band spectrum challenge and underscores the importance of American policymakers moving quickly to bring more licensed mid-band spectrum to power 5G networks.
"This report highlights that U.S. policymakers need to deliver the mid-spectrum they have identified—and do so quickly," said Meredith Attwell Baker, CTIA President and CEO. "We need 350 MHz of spectrum auctioned in 2020. America's national spectrum strategy—FCC Chairman Pai's 5G Fast Plan—has been instrumental to date, and I'm confident we'll make more licensed spectrum available to continue successfully building the U.S. 5G economy."
Analysys Mason looked at spectrum released between 2017 and 2020, as well as the licensing approach used for each band, and key findings from the benchmarked countries include:
- While nearly all spectrum in other countries has been made available on an exclusively licensed basis, the U.S. is an "outlier" in the amount of unlicensed and shared spectrum being made available.
- The U.S. is the only country that has released mid-band spectrum in the 3 GHz range on a shared or unlicensed basis.
- European countries are making only the lower part (5.925-6.425 GHz) of the 6 GHz band available for unlicensed use.
- Following U.S. leadership on high-band, most countries have begun to make or will make a significant amount of high-band spectrum available.
- With the 600 MHz auction, the U.S. was one of the first countries to release low-band spectrum suitable for 5G.
"Our research shows that other countries are currently more fully committed to the licensed spectrum playbook that made the U.S. the 4G global leader," said Janette Stewart, a Principal with Analysys Mason and the lead author of the report. "More licensed spectrum, particularly in the mid-band, is critical if the U.S. wants to maintain its wireless leadership."
The full study is available here.
Like what we have to say? Click here to sign up to our daily newsletter
One of America's most loved telecoms get-togethers, The BIG 5G Event, will be returning to Austin in 2023 to host 1,500+ telecom, cloud and technology professionals — and we want you to be a part of it!
For three days, you can meet and network with leaders from every part of the North American 5G ecosystem and hear from over 150 speakers on the hottest industry topics. To apply for your complimentary pass to the event, visit this link.