Big Red now has 4G LTE in 371 markets across the country and is aiming to cover 400 by year's end. The operator also extended service in 38 other markets.
Verizon's 4G service offers average download speeds of 5 to 12-Mbit/s. Upload averages clock in at 2 to 5-Mbit/s. (See What We Mean When We Say '4G'.)
Why this matters Verizon's LTE footprint dwarfs those of its rivals. AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) has 47 markets up. Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) just launched its first 15 markets. T-Mobile US Inc. will go to LTE next year.
- Verizon Blankets Two-Thirds of Population in 4G
- Size Matters for LTE, Verizon CTO Says
- Verizon Expands LTE Network in Acton
- Verizon Goes All Out for LTE Smartphones
- Where's Verizon's 4G Going Next?
- Mapping LTE: AT&T & Verizon's 4G Footprints
— Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile