Verizon wants to sell off 700MHz bandwidth in the lower bands if its Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) deal with the cable companies gets approved.
U.S. Cellular's interest in Verizon's spectrum was revealed in a filing that described a meeting this week between CEO Mary Dillion and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Julius Genachowski about spectrum interoperability.
Why this matters U.S. Cellular currently has a 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network that covers 25 percent of its customer base. This is expected to increase to half its subscribers by the end of the year. Additional spectrum could give the operator an opportunity to further expand its 4G reach.
- FCC Lengthens Review of Verizon's Spectrum Deal
- Sprint, DirecTV Try to Stop Wireless Spectrum Review
- Verizon Will Sell Spectrum If It Seals AWS Deals
- Verizon's Spectrum Auction: Winners & Losers
- MSOs Sell AWS Spectrum to Verizon for $3.6B
— Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile