"LTE will be in a few N.Y. cities in the coming months," a customer care representative told a customer via Sprint's Twitter account Tuesday night.
Sprint had previously named New York City as one of the 115 cities in the operator's existing 3G footprint where LTE is getting installed. The operator has not yet given a specific time line for launches other than saying they will happen in the "coming months."
Why this matters With Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) CEO boasting about how rivals cannot match his company's reach with 441 LTE markets, the heat is on for AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) and Sprint. AT&T currently has 109 LTE markets up and Sprint has 43.
- Sprint's 4G LTE: The Numbers Game
- Verizon: Rivals Can't Match Our 4G Reach
- AT&T Adds More 4G LTE Cities
- Slow Ride: Sprint Hits 43 4G LTE Markets
- Sprint Building Out LTE in 200+ Cities
— Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile