Japanese newspaper Nikkei Business reports that Apple is talking to NTT DoCoMo Inc. (NYSE: DCM) about a deal to deliver 4G iPhones and iPads to the carrier in the summer of 2012.
The paper reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook met with DoCoMo executives in mid-November to talk about details such as how many of the 4G devices Apple will produce for the Japanese market.
Why this matters We saw a raft of rumors about an LTE iPhone and iPad ahead of the launch of the iPhone 4S. The timing of a summer 2012 launch makes more sense for LTE devices, however, particularly if Apple gets back on its early summer schedule for device launches.
For more Read up on Apple and LTE below.
- iPhone 5: Apple Can Have 4G But Not the World
- Qualcomm Not Holding Up LTE iPhone
- Apple iPhone 5: Falling for 4G?
- Evidence of Apple's LTE Testing Mounts
- The iPhone's Future Is 4G
— Dan Jones, Site Editor, Light Reading Mobile