- AT&T CTO scoffs at Verizon's LTE. AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) CTO John Donovan hit out at Verizon Wireless 's Long Term Evolution (LTE) launch plans and asserted that his competitor was rolling out the technology too early, according to The Wall Street Journal. Donovan said there won't be "decent handsets, decent quantity of handsets, and decent choice of handsets" until 2012.
- So that's the 4G iPhone… A new Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) ad posted on YouTube claims that you can make your iPhone up to 10 times faster with their Overdrive WiMax/WiFi router. Check out the ad here.
- What's hot and what's not. Light Reading Mobile's Dan Jones provides a handy preview of what to expect from this year's show.
Here are three things you should see at today's show:
- AT&T's Randall Stephenson keynote. AT&T boss Randall Stephenson, shares the stage this morning with fellow AT&T exec Ralph de la Vega, the CTIA chairman; J.K. Shin, president of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (Korea: SEC)'s mobile communications business; and Iñaki Urdangarín, chairman of Telefónica Internacional, USA Inc. And if you're not in Vegas, then check out the live Webcasts of the keynotes here.
- Apps World. This is a new feature for CTIA, like the App Planet at Mobile World Congress last month. This is worth a look to see what's shakin' in mobile application development. And then at 4:00 p.m. today, there's The Dating Game for Developers.
- Tower Technology Summit 2010. At this event in the Las Vegas Convention Center, investors, wireless operators, and tower owners will talk about funding, meeting local regulations, and backhaul strategies. Click here for the full event program.
The news and analysis has already started to flow in. See below for a sampling of the hot CTIA news so far:
- Five Things to Watch at CTIA
- LTE Watch: More Verizon Speed Tidbits
- AT&T Offers Dell's First US Android & More
- ZTE Unveils CDMA/LTE RRU
- Gemalto, TI Team on Mobile Finance
- Tensilica Powers DoCoMo LTE
- ADC Talks Up DAS Over Femtos
- Accuris Supports Voice Over LTE
- PEG Bandwidth Secures $15 Million
- Tatara Touts 3GPP2 Femto Standard
— Michelle Donegan, European Editor, Light Reading Mobile