& cplSiteName &
Comments
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View        ADD A COMMENT
Page 1 / 5   >   >>
Joe Stanganelli
Joe Stanganelli
8/1/2016 | 7:13:05 AM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
I'm sure -- or, at least, I would like to think -- that the VZ M&A folks took the email issues into account when crunching the numbers.  Ditto for AT&T.
lanbrown
lanbrown
7/30/2016 | 10:00:16 AM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
They want to compete with Google and Facebook in the ads space.  As for dropping the rest; Yahoo is a legal obligation to AT&T for email service as well as a portal.  So Verizon is now committed to supporting it by buying Yahoo.  I'm sure AT&T is looking at an alternative right now though.
Joe Stanganelli
Joe Stanganelli
7/30/2016 | 7:20:48 AM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
I don't think VZ seeks to turn Yahoo around.  I think they just want some of its assets, technologies, and market presence.

If Yahoo is still around as any meaningful subsidiary -- as opposed to being fully absorbed by VZ -- in 18 months, I'll be mildly surprised.
lanbrown
lanbrown
7/29/2016 | 1:27:35 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
Buy Yahoo has been on the market since then and their value has only decreased.  Microsoft was also looking at buying everything though whereas Verizon only bought a part of Yahoo.

 

I cannot see Verizon able to turn Yahoo around let alone compete with Google and Facebook.
Joe Stanganelli
Joe Stanganelli
7/29/2016 | 1:23:10 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
@kq4ym: FWIW, that will still take about two years.
Joe Stanganelli
Joe Stanganelli
7/29/2016 | 1:22:36 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
@ian: And Yahoo could have Google for $5mil. once upon a time.

Of course, if they had actually done that deal, it's a lock that Google/Yahoo wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as Google is today.
kq4ym
kq4ym
7/28/2016 | 1:23:45 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
As the "UK's only communications-sector manufacturer of genuinely global significance," it surely will be interesting to see if the bids go up significantly after the proposed departure of Britain from the EC.
lanbrown
lanbrown
7/27/2016 | 7:36:14 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
While I think it is overvalued, for someone with deep pockets and is concerned about a design that they make lots of money from, it might be worth it.  That is why I think a consortium would be an easier sale to regulators.  The large ARM licensees obviously are concerned what Softbank may or may not do regardless of what they have said publicly or privately.

I find it funny that Verizon thinks that Yahoo will allow them to compete with Google and Facebook.  Microsoft has lost that war and Yahoo way before them.  Verizon could use bloatwared mobile phones to push traffic to themselves.  That tactic might cause regulators to take a look at them though....they should ask Microsoft.  Their customer may not be all that happy either.  Yahoo uses Bing and Bing has done pretty much nothing against Google.

The really interesting part though.  51% of the queries are handled by Microsoft and the remaining 49% is by whomever Yahoo wants to use which is....Google.  Yahoo has full control over mobile searches.  As for ads and listings, 51% goes to Microsoft and 49% to Google.  So, Verizon is going to compete with Google by paying Google.  Or will Verizon dig the Yahoo search code out of the archives, blow the dust off of it and start using it?  They could give 100% of the business to Microsoft, but it is not like that is working for Microsoft.

Just think, Microsoft was willing to pay $50 billion for Yahoo 8 years ago.
Joe Stanganelli
Joe Stanganelli
7/27/2016 | 5:34:38 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
@ian: Sure.  My comment was presuming SoftBank remains the highest/best bidder.

But if you and many others are thinking the deal is overvaluing ARM given their revenues and other factors, chances are you're not alone.

But then, VZ just agreed to buy Yahoo for $4.8bil., so what do I know?
lanbrown
lanbrown
7/26/2016 | 7:18:09 PM
Re: Investment for the IoT future?
A bidding war could start for ARM.
Page 1 / 5   >   >>


Featured Video
Upcoming Live Events
October 1-2, 2019, New Orleans, Louisiana
October 10, 2019, New York, New York
October 22, 2019, Los Angeles, CA
November 5, 2019, London, England
November 7, 2019, London, UK
November 14, 2019, Maritim Hotel, Berlin
December 3, 2019, New York, New York
December 3-5, 2019, Vienna, Austria
March 16-18, 2020, Embassy Suites, Denver, Colorado
May 18-20, 2020, Irving Convention Center, Dallas, TX
All Upcoming Live Events
Partner Perspectives - content from our sponsors
Edge Computing, the Next Great IT Revolution
By Rajesh Gadiyar, Vice President & CTO, Network & Custom Logic Group, Intel Corp
Innovations in Home Media Terminals for the Upcoming 5G Era
By Tang Wei, Vice President, ZTE Corporation
All Partner Perspectives