x
Page 1 / 2   >   >>
opticalwatcher 12/4/2012 | 7:40:45 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings Congrats to them. Maybe their product and concept will take hold. I do find it amusing that the title indicates a soaring stock price. Up 1.71? Its amazing how definitations change on short order. 18 months ago a soaring stock meant a 30-40 point pop. Now we're estatic to see a mere point or two.

Also, I am concerned that their projected revenues for next year are based on customers they dont have yet. Isnt this a dangerous assumption? If they dont pull in enough business to meet their projections, Harry Carr is going to be Harry Mudd in a matter of seconds. Any thoughts?
ajo2 12/4/2012 | 7:40:44 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings > I do find it amusing that the title indicates a
> soaring stock price. Up 1.71? Its amazing how
> definitations change on short order. 18 months
> ago a soaring stock meant a 30-40 point pop. Now
> we're estatic to see a mere point or two.

Are you really that dim?

I'd expect the people reading this type of web site would be educated enough to understand such simple concepts.

Here's a math lesson for you:

When a stock is $100, a $30 rise is 30%.

When a stock is $5, a $1.71 rise is 34%.

I can only hope you understand that 34% is more than 30%.

>Also, I am concerned that their projected revenues
> for next year are based on customers they dont have
>yet. Isnt this a dangerous assumption?

Do you not work for a company that sets sales goals?

The question is if all or only part of those goals should be made public. If they miss any single goal, they risk their stock price being punished.
dietaryfiber 12/4/2012 | 7:40:44 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings I listened to the call.

They said that most customers would need the product later rather than sooner. I would have thought this was a red flag.

dietary fiber
dgussmann 12/4/2012 | 7:40:41 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings This is an entirely silly post but you should really learn the difference between your and the contraction of you are. Especially when YOU'RE using it in a sentence like, "But I guess YOUR to smart to "read" what's written."
opticalwatcher 12/4/2012 | 7:40:41 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings Well now, you must be a nice person to have lunch with. Or maybe you dont have time to eat lunch. I was merely being polite. Did I mention a 100 dollar stock? Did I mention percentages? No, I dont think so. I was merely pointing out the difference in the term "soaring". But I guess your to smart to "read" what's written.

With regards to your sales goal comment, sure, we have all goals. I have a goal to wash my car next weekend. I own the car and I have soap and water at the house. However, its pretty stupid to plan on washing a car if I dont actually have the car in my possession. Now, of course your sarcastic little mind is thinking up cute little statements to belittle this analogy, but try and humor me.

Companies are always making projections of sales on clients they dont have. That's been the mantra of the 90's, especially the late 90's. However, if you would "read" a little, telm isnt saying that this is their sales goals, telm is indicating that they anticipate sales to be in this range. Oh yeah, and by the way, those projections assume new clients that we dont have yet. Telm isnt selling computers, or widgets. They're selling highly specialized equipment that require long test cycles and only sell to a large group of companies worldwide. Is it smart in this economic climate to make sales projections based on customers you dont have? Or, is this question to liberal for you. Maybe we should just all accept what we're told like good little boys and girls and go on our merry way.

Finally, I was merely pointing it out as a topic of discussion. You dont have to be nasty or rude.

ajo2 12/4/2012 | 7:40:40 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings As I predicted, you completely missed the lesson. Let's spell it out: your assertion that definitions have changed is not correct. Most people would consider a 34% rise in stock price a soaring stock movement. The dollar amount has nothing to do with it. It never has.


> They're selling highly specialized equipment that
> require long test cycles and only sell to a large
> group of companies worldwide. Is it smart in this
> economic climate to make sales projections based
> on customers you dont have?

If you don't believe you can hit your sales target with the current customer base, you don't have much choice do you? They can either cut the sales projection, or they can predict winning additional customers. From the sounds of it, they didn't want to cut sales, so guess what?!

Are they being aggressive? Probably. Many times sales goals are.

> Or, is this question to liberal for you.
>
> Maybe we should just all accept what we're told like
>good little boys and girls and go on our merry way.

I don't know where all that came from, but it looks like you are doing what you accused me of doing. I never said we should blindly accept what we are told.

Oh, and if you had plans to buy a car, you'd probably also have plans to wash it. Your analogy does not work. No sarcastic statements necessary.
newguy 12/4/2012 | 7:40:24 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings The article as I read it stated a $0.76 / 15% rise. Not sure where the $1.71 / 34% came from. Must agree that soaring seems a little strong for 15%.

opticalwatcher 12/4/2012 | 7:40:22 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings This is an entirely silly post but you should really learn the difference between your and the contraction of you are. Especially when YOU'RE using it in a sentence like, "But I guess YOUR to smart to "read" what's written."

Yes, your right. It is a silly post.
opticalwatcher 12/4/2012 | 7:40:22 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings Ok, your really annoying with your smugness. "If I planned to buy a car I would also plan to wash it"? Nice contortion of my simple point. However, your missing the point. First, if I was planning on buying a car next year it would be based on what I know I could afford. Therefore, I wouldnt be planning on buy a jag when i knew (based on current real income)that I could only afford a chevy. Furthermore, in this economic climate, what in god's name would make me stick my neck out and make such aggressive projections as to double my revenue's when 1) our biggest cash cow (dynegy) will be slowing orders, 2) there has no word of new customers OR new trials, and 3) the telecom sector as a whole is still finding bottom while capex spending continues to shrink into 2002.

About the trials issue, we all know how long the trial period takes. Since no new trial customers have been announced, what makes you think that any new customers will be on board in the near term and start to contribute to earnings?

Hmm....I'm thinking that your annoyed with my statements not because they dont make sense, or express a point of view that merely disagree's with your vision. I think that you have an interest. Such as being part of the telm team in charge of shutting down little emails like mine, or, a financial position of some sort who thinks that these boards actually influence the stock price in some way. Which is it?
ajo2 12/4/2012 | 7:40:20 PM
re: Tellium Stock Pops After Earnings Interesting. Now that you've learned the lesson about what a soaring stock price really is, you've completely dropped the original subject and have taken to trying to prove completely unrelated points.

> what makes you think that any new customers will
> be on board in the near term and start to
> contribute to earnings?

And once again you are doing something you accused me of. I never said I thought they could find new customers. However, I implied that THEY must think it is possible, otherwise they most likely wouldn't have said it.

>I think that you have an interest. Such as being part
> of the telm team in charge of shutting down little
> emails like mine, or, a financial position of some
> sort who thinks that these boards actually influence
> the stock price in some way. Which is it?

You're wrong yet again - you just can't win for losing! I don't even know what Tellum makes, much less give a flip about their spin on PR or disagreeing with their vision, whatever it happens to be.

As for these boards, I come here for comedy relief. The rumor mill is second to none and has me rolling on the floor often. I agree with you that anyone that thinks stock prices reflect anything said here needs serious help.
Page 1 / 2   >   >>
HOME
Sign In
SEARCH
CLOSE
MORE
CLOSE