& cplSiteName &
SlideshowHow the Padres Hit an IoT Home Run
Mitch Wagner
8/25/2016

SAN DIEGO -- Light Reading went out to the ballgame this week. Or, more precisely, we skipped most of the ballgame -- because we are not interested in baseball -- and checked out something really interesting instead: how Qualcomm and the San Diego Padres are using Internet of Things (IoT) technology to improve operations efficiency at the Padres' Petco Park.

With camera in hand, we went into the bowels of the ballpark, to see how Qualcomm Inc. (Nasdaq: QCOM) and partner OSIsoft, a big data IoT company, are capturing data from gas, water, and electrical systems in a plan to make efficiency savings of 25%.

Click the photo below to start a slideshow of what we saw on our tour behind the scenes at Petco Park.

And for more detail on the technology and business goals, read this: San Diego Padres Swing for the Fences With IoT.


Learn more about the Internet of Things on Light Reading's Internet of Things channel.


 

Play Ball!
The San Diego Padres are looking to IoT technology to cut operating costs by 25%.
The San Diego Padres are looking to IoT technology to cut operating costs by 25%.

— Mitch Wagner, Follow me on TwitterVisit my LinkedIn profile, Editor, Light Reading Enterprise Cloud

(7)  | 
Comment  | 
Print  | 
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View        ADD A COMMENT
mendyk
mendyk
8/29/2016 | 11:09:01 AM
Re: mis-analytics
It's only a matter of time -- only about 90% of the joy of following baseball has been sucked out by the stats pack. That leaves 10% unsucked.
jbtombes
jbtombes
8/29/2016 | 11:05:04 AM
Re: mis-analytics
Has HVAC efficiency worked its way into sabermetrics - possible Moneyball sequel?
mendyk
mendyk
8/25/2016 | 4:11:20 PM
Re: Speak for yourself
Maybe "we" would be more interested in baseball if cosplay were involved. A picture of Mr. Wagner dressed up as the iconic Swinging Friar might break the internet. 
cnwedit
cnwedit
8/25/2016 | 3:36:12 PM
Speak for yourself
At Light Reading, "we" are not interested in baseball? Even when "we" could have watching MLB's best team, the Chicago Cubs, in action? "We" are not amused. 
mendyk
mendyk
8/25/2016 | 12:08:21 PM
mis-analytics
The Padres have the ninth-highest payroll in MLB and currently have the 27th-best record (out of 30 teams). But it's good to know management has its eye on improving the efficiency of its HVAC systems.
Alison_ Diana
Alison_ Diana
8/25/2016 | 11:31:49 AM
MLB Volunteer
I volunteer to be Light Reading's full-time Major League Baseball editor, specializing in Yankee coverage.
Kelsey Ziser
Kelsey Ziser
8/25/2016 | 10:07:21 AM
Hot Tubs
Ha! Love the hot tubs visual on slide 3, it's actually really helpful in putting energy savings into terms anyone can understand and less nebulous that just showing how many gallons of water are being saved.
Featured Video
Upcoming Live Events
September 17-19, 2019, Dallas, Texas
October 1-2, 2019, New Orleans, Louisiana
October 10, 2019, New York, New York
October 22, 2019, Los Angeles, CA
November 5, 2019, London, England
November 7, 2019, London, UK
November 14, 2019, Maritim Hotel, Berlin
December 3-5, 2019, Vienna, Austria
December 3, 2019, New York, New York
March 16-18, 2020, Embassy Suites, Denver, Colorado
May 18-20, 2020, Irving Convention Center, Dallas, TX
All Upcoming Live Events