TGIF. In today's edition of Gigabites, a new map of global gigabit deployments makes its debut; a pole attachment fight threatens gigabit action in Nashville; the mayor of Chattanooga, Tenn., gets questioned about the employment benefits of municipal broadband; and more.
Viavi's findings are illuminating, but they're also not complete. As the company fully discloses, its database is only compiled from publicly available data and is not guaranteed in any way. A quick review found several gigabit deployments not cited on the Viavi map. These include Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK)'s three DOCSIS 3.1-enabled gigabit markets, and deployments by both AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) and Google Fiber Inc. in Charlotte, N.C.
From the data Viavi has collected, North America is by far the leading continent for gigabit broadband with 61% of total sites listed, while Europe is second with 24%. Fiber is the most common supporting technology for gigabit deployments with an 85% share. Yet wireless gigabit service is already beginning to make inroads with 3% of gigabit deployments on the Viavi map based on LTE-A.
— Mari Silbey, Senior Editor, Cable/Video, Light Reading