Vendors Vie for Service Edge
Three key providers of multiservice edge equipment are scheduled to join in a discussion on one of the telecom industry's hottest topics this year -- carrier requirements for converged IP/MPLS backbones -- in a Light Reading Webinar entitled "The Service Edge" on Thursday, May 27.
The vendors are:
- Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO), which has been the dominant provider of equipment supporting Layer 3 IP/MPLS VPNs
- Nortel Networks Ltd. (NYSE/Toronto: NT), which recently launched its "Neptune" router, the MPE 9000 (see Neptune Arrives)
- Tellabs Inc. (Nasdaq: TLAB; Frankfurt: BTLA), which acquired Vivace to get into this space (see Tellabs Snags Vivace for $135M and Tellabs Unveils Vivace Sibling)
The presentation will make use of a Heavy Reading survey of 404 service providers -- 2004 Survey of Carrier Attitudes Toward IP/MPLS Backbones and VPNs -- to demonstrate that many carriers are already offering services over IP/MPLS backbones, and expect revenues from them to double next year.
The Webinar will also review key attributes for multiservice edge equipment from three perspectives: the business case, device technology, and wider operational issues.
The three vendors will undertake to explain how they address these issues, and discuss whether these requirements call for multiservice edge equipment to be built from scratch (as Nortel and Tellabs/Vivace have done) or whether existing equipment can be adapted (the Cisco approach).
"The Service Edge" is free to attend and will be archived for later viewing. To register, please click on this link. It's scheduled for broadcast on Thursday, May 27, at 2:00 p.m. New York / 7:00 p.m. London time.
— Peter Heywood, Founding Editor, Light Reading
Archives of Related Light Reading Webinars:
- Carrier VPNs: Secure and Flexible Solutions That Can Scale
- The Challenges and Rewards of Building Profitable MPLS VPN Services
- Converged Backbones: Technology Update
- Interworking: Making the transition to MPLS
- IP: MPLS – 21st Century Traffic Engineering
- IP: VPNs – Making IP Safe for Services
- MPLS: Five Key Convergence Questions
- Multiservice Edge Platforms: Empowering 21st Century Services – US Event
- Next-Generation Network Residential & Business Services