AUSTIN, Texas -- Big Communications Event -- You pretty much can't point your camera anywhere in Austin without getting a great photo. I haven't been to Austin in many years, so when Light Reading's Big Communications Event brought me there, I took an extra couple of days ahead of time to see the city.
And no better way to see the city than on a Segway, courtesy of SegCity Tours & Sales. Click the image below to see some of what I saw around Austin. Then scroll down lower for an extra Segway-related treat, and a roundup of our BCE coverage of actual industry issues.
And now for your Segway-related treat: Julius, our Segway tour guide, is a passionate choral singer and yodeler. On the tour, he yodeled to let us know when it was time to stop, because apparently we didn't look dorky enough on a Segway, we needed to have a guy with us yodeling too.
The manager of the Segway shop told me there's a saying in the business: "It's impossible to look cool on a Segway, and it's impossible to not have a good time." I can testify to both. I highly recommend Segway touring with SegCity; just leave your dignity in your hotel room.
Here's 22 seconds of Julius yodeling:
- Light Reading's BCE Rocks Austin
- Leading Lights 2016 Highlights
- Cisco Looks to Open Source for 'Badder Ass' Internet
- AT&T: OPNFV Can Bring Open Source Sanity
- CenturyLink Targets 'Six Nines' Reliability
- Cisco's Patel Hails 'Microculture' Successes
- Ciena Says Toolkit Makes DevOps Easier
- AT&T to Start 5G 'Friendly' Trial by 2016 End
- DT: Telcos Must Escape Vendor Prison
- Facebook: TIP Will Open Telecom Hardware
- Masergy CEO: Key Building Blocks for Better Customer Experience
- Verizon Upskills on 5G at BCE
- OTTs Are Forcing Us to Get Better, Says Cox
- NIA Replacing 'Old Standards Bodies,' Says Cisco
- Rogers Upskills on Adapting to Mobile Video Demand
- AT&T's Margaret Chiosi Retires
- Smart Cities: Rapidly Developing Like Molasses
- WiC Pics: Women in Comms Takes Austin
- Nothing's Going to Stop 4K
- Opex Gloom Grows in New NFV Survey
- Vodafone Demands More From NFV Vendors
- Pics: BCE Crowds Mob New IP Agency Live Interoperability Demos
— Mitch Wagner, , Editor, Light Reading Enterprise Cloud.