x
Optical/IP

Moto to Take $101M Charge

Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT) says it will record a pre-tax charge of $101 million during its second quarter after it cut its headcount by about 2,100 in the three months to June 30.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Thursday, the company said the staff cuts were related to both the 4,000 job losses announced at the end of May and the previously announced, and separate, workforce reduction of 3,500 staff. (See Moto Cuts Another 4,000.)

Motorola says all three of its business segments -- Mobile Devices, Networks and Enterprise, and Connected Home -- as well as "various corporate functions, are impacted by these plans." The majority of staff hit by the second-quarter cuts are in the U.S., Germany, and Canada.

Motorola expects further charges throughout 2007 as it continues to lay off more of the 4,000 staff that are being cut in the latest round of job losses.

— Ray Le Maistre, International News Editor, Light Reading

Be the first to post a comment regarding this story.
HOME
Sign In
SEARCH
CLOSE
MORE
CLOSE