The test will be conducted jointly by Williams Communications Group Inc., the Fiber Optic Networking Laboratory of the University of Tulsa (Oklahoma), and Network Test Inc., the test house that has conducted several other bakeoffs for Light Reading. Test equipment will come from Spirent Communications.
The involvement of Williams in the test underscores the carrier's interest in evaluating metro DWDM equipment for its own network. Like many other carriers, it wants to find a cost-effective way of funneling traffic from broadband access networks into its high-capacity, long-haul backbone.
This particular test will focus on the optical layer of metro DWDM equipment and will include evaluation of:
- Fault Management
- Performance monitoring
- Long-term BER (bit error rate) testing
- Linear APS (automatic protection switching) testing
- BLSR (bidirectional line-switched ring) testing
- UPSR (unidirectional path switched ring) testing
For more details, see the test plan at http://networktest.com/opt02/opt02meth.html.
As with all tests sponsored by Light Reading, vendors pay nothing to participate, thus ensuring the independence of the results. The importance of this issue was emphasized recently in our April Research Poll.
Testing is planned for July and August. The following vendors have been invited to take part:
- ADVA AG Optical Networking (Frankfurt: ADV)
- Alcatel SA (NYSE: ALA; Paris: CGEP:PA)
- Centerpoint Broadband Technologies Inc.
- Ciena Corp. (Nasdaq: CIEN)
- Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO)
- Controlware GmbH
- Ericsson AB (Nasdaq: ERICY)
- Fujitsu Network Communications Inc. (FNC)
- Hitachi Ltd. (NYSE: HIT; Paris: PHA)
- Internet Photonics Inc.
- Kestrel Solutions Inc.
- Lucent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: LU)
- Lumentis AB
- LuxN Inc.
- Marconi PLC (Nasdaq/London: MONI)
- NEC Corp. (Nasdaq: NIPNY)
- Nortel Networks Corp. (NYSE/Toronto: NT)
- ONI Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: ONIS)
- Opthos Inc.
- PacketLight Networks
- Pandatel AG (Frankfurt: PDE)
- Sorrento Networks Corp. (Nasdaq: FIBR)
- Sycamore Networks Inc. (Nasdaq: SCMR)
- Tellabs Inc. (Nasdaq: TLAB; Frankfurt: BTLA)
If we've left anybody out, please let us know on the message board linked to this article, or by getting in touch with David Newman, president of Network Test, at [email protected].
— Peter Heywood, Founding Editor, Light Reading