Headcount can't resist a good euphemism. And we applaud that special class of cubicle dwellers who take special care to say things in the least offensive, most obtuse, way possible. Indeed, if your favorite dinosaur is the Thesaurus, you're our kind of telecom worker.
We're especially pleased with a May 2 press release from ArrayComm Inc., which took extreme care not to alarm (or inform) anyone when it announced a round of firings. The press release, probably crafted by an "administrative assistant," who may have once been a secretary, said the company is "evolving its organization to meet the next phase of business demands." (See ArrayComm Cuts Jobs.)
Normally, we'd make some kind of wry observation here, but we're too busy "showing mirth, joy, or scorn with a smile and chuckle or explosive sound," as Mr. Dictionary puts it.
Okay, enough HR/PR baiting (and it goes without saying we've become masters at baiting). It's time to review some of the past week's most interesting hirings, firings, and other employment news:
Alcatel SA (NYSE: ALA; Paris: CGEP:PA) is cutting about 90 of the 170 people in one of its Vancouver facilities, a company spokesman says. "In the networking R&D group, 20 percent were laid off last Thursday," he writes to Headcount. "The other 80 percent will be laid off on August 1." The changes follow rumors that Alcatel was going to shut down its businesses in Vancouver. Headcount, meanwhile, can think of few things colder than a rumor from Vancouver.
Earlier this month, Lasercomm's assets were auctioned off, thus nailing down the coffin lid on the components vendor that raised $77 million in funding and once employed more than 200 people (see Layoffs Level LaserComm). The company's first commercial product, a Hi-Mode Dispersion Management Device (DMD), used complicated physics to turn hard cash into an odorless vapor.
Turin Networks Inc. had a layoff on May 14, just one day after being visited by Light Reading editors Scott "The Ax" Raynovich and Phil "The Butter Knife" Harvey. This, as far as Headcount knows, was completely a coincidence. "About 15 percent were let go leaving us with a current headcount of 125," writes Turin spokesman Kevin Wade, who introduced Raynovich and Harvey to the satisfying steak sandwiches at Petaluma's Washoe House. At least he didn't take us to Applebee's (well, come to think of it, Light Reading paid the tab).
Wave7 Optics Inc. chairman Hatch Graham has recently taken the CEO job at Arroyo Optics. Graham succeeds George A. Rakuljic, the company's founder and current chief technology officer. Arroyo's Website says Graham is the "interim" CEO, indicating that -- like Graham's tenure at Bandwidth9 Inc. -- the job won't be his permanently.
Ditech Communications Corp. (Nasdaq: DITC), purveyor of echo cancellation gear cancellation gear, is selling its Altamar optical subsystems subsidiary. Altamar was founded in March 2001 to sell Ditech's Titanium optical transport systems, a product that was discontinued in September 2002. It won't be clear how many jobs will be affected by the Altamar sale or Ditech's restructuring until after Altamar is sold. Ditech employs 213 now, according to Nadine Melka, Ditech's chief marketing officer and VP of corporate strategy.
Corvis Corp. (Nasdaq: CORV) VP of engineering Ed Rissberger left the company more than a week ago, a Corvis spokesman says. Rissberger's duties have fallen to Mike Bortz, executive engineer. Corvis's engineering, customer solutions, and optical switch and subsea transmission product groups all report to Mike Antone, the company's intellectual property attorney. Maybe that's not a bad thing, given Corvis's recent scrapes with the patent police (see Corvis Having a Rough Week).