One thousand... i.e., one Wal-Mart. Thanks, George.
The experts were only off by about 13,000 percent. Nice one. And, yes, the unemployment number was lower for December, but mainly because more than 300,000 people left the workforce because they retired, won the lottery, found temp work on Michael Jackson's legal team, or just gave the hell up.
And while we're at it: How many companies do massive hiring in December?
Okay, enough rambling. Time for this week's summary of the most recent hirings and firings in the telecom space:
Now, we're reporting that Gluon is closed. Whew!
About 60 employees lost their jobs during Gluon's closure. As for the investors, they're probably not dancing in the aisles: Gluon had raised more than $76 million since 1999.
And, now, a few more appointments and disappointments from the past few days:
- Magis Vanishes
- Chunghwa CEO Quits
- Finisar Furlough Queried
- Tim Berners-Lee Gets Knighted
- Procket Gets Cisco Exec
- BT Retail Shuffles Its Chiefs
- DeBono Heads Back to Lucent IR
- Lucent Appoints Jaferian
- Wintegra Appoints IPO Veteran
- Fibernet Appoints Frewer to Board
- Carlyle Appoints Euro Head
- PLI Adds R&D, Operations Execs
- Wave7 Names International Sales VP
— Phil Harvey, Senior Editor, Light Reading