While that's not a question you're likely to be asked every day, it's more likely to crop up now that the world is once again gripped by Lord of the Rings fever.
Tolkein fans are about to get their latest fix as the third Lord of the Rings film, The Return of the King, appears at movie theaters around the world. And one of the more interesting offshoots of the films' amazing success has been the creation of a Website that tells you what your name would be if you were a hobbit (Tolkein's diminutive hairy-footed heroes… If you don't know, don't ask).
Well, it's what the Web was created for, isn't it?
So we thought we'd find out what the names of the telecom industry's major movers and shakers would be if they were hobbits. So here goes:
- John Chambers, CEO, Cisco -- Olo Peatfingers of Brockenborings
- Patricia Russo, CEO, Lucent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: LU) -- Flora Frumblefoot of Scary
- Scott Kriens, CEO, Juniper Networks Inc. (Nasdaq: JNPR) -- Lotho Tighfield of Tookbank
- Serge Tchuruk, CEO, Alcatel SA (NYSE: ALA; Paris: CGEP:PA) -- Podo Proudfoot
- Jorma Ollila, CEO, Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK) -- Polo Goldworthy of Michel Delving
- David Dorman, CEO, AT&T Corp. (NYSE: T) -- Drogo Hardbottle
- Frank Dunn, CEO, Nortel Networks Corp. (NYSE/Toronto: NT) -- Fastolph Hardbottle (unveiling a closer relationship with Dave Dorman than we'd thought…)
- Bernie Ebbers, the guy what sank WorldCom Inc. -- Togo Loamsdown
- Mike Parton, CEO, Marconi Corp. plc (Nasdaq: MRCIY; London: MONI) -- Ferdirand Sandydowns
- Thomas Ganswindt, head of ICN (information and communication networks) at Siemens AG (NYSE: SI; Frankfurt: SIE) -- Moro Bolger of Newbury
And if you want to put in the name of your CEO, and then post it on the message board below (go on, you know you want to…) then visit The Hobbit Name Generator.
— Samwise Bunce of Brockenborings (Ray Le Maistre), International Editor, Boardwatch