x
Optical/IP

DSL Forum: Let's Aim for 1B Users

VENICE -- Broadband World Forum Europe -- You can't accuse the DSL Forum of lacking a go-get-'em attitude. As it boasted about the latest DSL uptake figures (another 31 million lines added in the 12 months to June 30, taking the total to 78 million) it unveiled a plan to help carriers upgrade the rest of the world's copper access plant (see DSL Forum: Europe's Hot for DSL).

Speaking at the Broadband World Forum Europe 2004, the Forum's chief marketeer, Jay Fausch of Alcatel SA (NYSE: ALA; Paris: CGEP:PA), noted there are, according to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), currently 1.1 billion copper access lines deployed globally at present.

"Every person served by copper is a potential DSL customer, and it's possible to reach them all," enthuses Fausch.

That means only 7 percent or so of lines are currently broadband-enabled. And even while that small number represents the easiest and most cost-effective lines to deploy, the remaining 93 percent still offers enormous potential for broadband access vendors.

So, in the spirit of unbridled optimism that is permeating this event, the Forum has launched a white paper, called "DSL Anywhere," to provide carriers with all the various technical options they can take to upgrade the remaining 1 billion-plus lines, including how to extend the reach of DSL, the possibilities of low-frequency DSL, ways to improve the conditioning and qualification of the copper plant, and the deployment of loop extenders.

Fausch also offers up a menu of statistics, the highlights of which are:

  • DSL accounts for 63 percent of the world's current 123 million broadband connections, with cable modems at 29 percent and fiber access at just over 7 percent.
  • The U.S. is the major anomaly in that it still has way more cable modem users, 17.6 million, than DSL subscribers, currently standing at 11.4 million.
  • The recently-extended European Union is now the number-one region for DSL subscribers, accounting for 31 percent of the total, followed by Asia/Pacific with 29 percent.
  • China boasts the most DSL subscribers, with 12.7 million, followed by Japan with 12.1 million, and then the U.S.
  • But South Korea still has the greatest DSL penetration of any country in the world. Its 6.7 million users give it a 28.7 penetration rate, with Taiwan in second spot at 20.8 percent and Hong Kong at 19.6 percent.

    — Ray Le Maistre, International News Editor, Light Reading


    For more on this topic, check out:


    For further education, visit the archives of related Light Reading Webinars:



  • prv_n 12/5/2012 | 1:15:22 AM
    re: DSL Forum: Let's Aim for 1B Users Broadband is the tool of the future trade..

    http://www.computers.infoarmy....
    HOME
    Sign In
    SEARCH
    CLOSE
    MORE
    CLOSE