3 Sweden Extends 3G Coverage

3GIS network, which is to serve approximately 70% of the Swedish population, has been supplied exclusively by Nokia

October 23, 2003

2 Min Read

STOCKHOLM -- 3 Sweden is accelerating the introduction of WCDMA 3G service in central Sweden by switching on service in several cities over the next few weeks. The 3GIS network, which is to serve approximately 70% of the Swedish population, has been supplied exclusively by Nokia. 3GIS is the network sharing joint venture between 3 Sweden, Vodafone Sweden, and Orange. 3 Sweden will provide service to the remaining 30% of the population with a separate 3G network build-out.

"The expansion of our network coverage increases the reach and power of the 3 experience," says Chris Bannister, Chief Executive Officer, 3 Sweden. "It is even more significant that the 3G service is being provided in a shared network, demonstrating a clear proof point for this strategy in 3G deployment. Nokia's state-of-the-art 3G system and implementation services were instrumental in seeing this project to completion."

"We are extremely pleased to have a central role in providing 3GIS's WCDMA 3G network," says Rajeev Suri, Vice President & General Manager, Nokia Networks. "Nokia's 3G system contains the functionality that makes it superior for the sharing of network build-out and operations that is required in multi-operator networks."

3G Infrastructure Services AB is a joint venture set up by telecom operators Hi3G Access (3 Sweden), Vodafone Sweden and Orange in order to share network infrastructure during the build-out of 3G UMTS networks in the rural areas of Sweden. Each partner in the joint venture has been granted a license to provide 3G service to almost 100% of the Swedish population. They embarked on a network sharing strategy for the rural parts of the country to realize cost-efficiencies during network deployment.

Nokia Corp.

Subscribe and receive the latest news from the industry.
Join 62,000+ members. Yes it's completely free.

You May Also Like