- Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) is passing three million homes per year with FTTH.
- AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is passing a half million.
- BellSouth is passing 150,000. Now wait a second, you might be saying, BellSouth has ceased to exist! Well, things are a bit slower down here in the South, and there are certain areas where the old Baby Bell is still operating as BellSouth.
- Of all the FTTH subscribers in North America, 1.5 million come from the three RBOCs.
- 499,000 come from 370 other small providers with an average of 1,350 subscribers per carrier.
- 13.4 percent of FTTH customers report that they work from home more often by an average of 7.3 days per month because of their FTTH connection.
- If everyone in North America had FTTH and worked from home one day per month we would reduce our gasoline consumption by 5 percent with a 4 percent reduction in CO2 emissions, $5 billion in lower road expenditures, and 1.5 billion commuting hours recaptured.
- Ummmm, really?
- The top consumer uses of FTTH, in order, are movie downloading (about 20 percent), gaming, VOD, video conferencing, home security, education video conferencing, and healthcare video conferencing.
— Raymond McConville, Reporter, Light Reading