Proxim Claims WLAN Speed Record
LONDON -- Proxim Wireless Corporation (NASDAQ: PRXM), a leading provider of end-to-end broadband wireless systems that deliver the quadruple play, today announced the availability of the industry’s first 802.11n solution to achieve 320 Mbps of throughput with a dual-radio solution. In addition, Proxim’s new 802.11n products have been designed to be customer-friendly and overcome the barriers of cost and complexity faced by competing products to deliver 802.11n networks at half the price of existing WLANs. With Proxim’s ORiNOCO® AP-8000 and AP-800 802.11n access points, organizations of all sizes can achieve higher performance than their existing wired and wireless LANs while avoiding the costly controller upgrades, deployment challenges, and additional network planning that have deterred enterprises from upgrading to 802.11n.
Realizing the Truly Unwired Enterprise IEEE 802.11n is the next generation of the Wi-Fi standard. The primary advantages of 802.11n-compliant products are significantly higher throughput and longer range. With the advent of 802.11n technology, the truly unwired enterprise is possible – yet many organizations cite the high cost of migration and the complexity of deployment as barriers to moving to 802.11n.
Proxim’s ORiNOCO AP-8000 dual-radio and AP-800 single-radio APs overcome the challenges hindering adoption by achieving numerous key industry firsts:
- First 802.11n solution to achieve greater than 300 Mbps throughput performance, with dual-radio throughput rates tested at 320 Mbps
- First 802.11n solution to work within the 802.3af (POE) power requirements in both single- and dual-radio 3x3 MIMO 11n configurations, eliminating the cost and hassle of additional wires and power injectors to each AP that are typically required with competitive 802.11n products
- First solution to support Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) globally in all 5 GHz bands, which eliminates the worry of network interoperability and interference and provides 10 times the number of channels available at 2.4 GHz
- First solution to support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz operation on each 802.11n radio, providing the flexibility for deployment in various environments
- First 802.11n solution that utilizes the same mounting hardware as existing Proxim 802.11a/b/g APs, greatly simplifying upgrades unlike competitive 802.11n products which often require new mounting hardware
Proxim Wireless Corp.