Lyft Drives Mobile VC Funding to $1.4B in April
San Francisco-based driver-finding startup Lyft drove to the top of another huge month for mobile venture capital funding, according to the latest report from Rutberg & Co.
Rutberg & Co. reports that mobile-focused private companies raised $1.4 billion in 121 deals during April, adding to the whopping $1.1 billion raised in March this year.
Here are the top five earners in April:
Table 1: Five 5 Mobile VC Fundings in April
|Lyft||San Francisco||$250M||Ride-share app & service||Alibaba, Andreessen Horowitz, Coatue Management, Founders Fund, Mayfield Fund, Third Point Ventures|
|Prodea Systems||Richardson, Texas||$100M||An Internet of Things platform||Mubadala Development Company|
|Fuhu||El Segundo, Calif.||$65M||A tablet for children||N/A|
|Apigee||Palo Alto, Calif.||$60M||An API-management system||Bay Partners, BlackRock, Focus Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Pine River Capital Management, SAP Ventures, Third Point Ventures, Wellington Management|
|SimpliSafe||Cambridge, Mass.||$57M||A connected home platform||Sequoia Capital|
|Source: Rutberg & Co.|
Rutberg also notes that Internet of Things (IoT) startups are getting plenty of money and attention from their VC pals now:
- Six IoT companies raised $174 million in April, including $100 million for Prodea Systems... Other IoT companies that raised venture capital in April include: Jasper Wireless, which raised $50 million from Temasek Holdings, a Singaporean sovereign wealth fund; Ayla Networks, which raised $14.5 million from investors including Cisco Systems, Crosslink Capital, and the IFC; Evrythng, which raised $7 million from investors including Atomico and Cisco Systems; Understory, which raised $1.9 million led by True Ventures with participation from investors including RRE Ventures and SK Ventures for its ground-level wireless weather detection network; and Huminn Mesh, which raised $300,000 from undisclosed investors.
Follow the VC money further below:
- Mobile VC Tops $1B in March Madness
- It Takes $280M to Tango
- Mobile VC Pulls in $592.9M in February
- Chinese Startups Dominate January VC Funding
- Mobile VC Bumps Up to $868M in December
- Mobile VC Funding Hits $600M in November
- Softbank's Supercell Buy Tops Mobile M&A
— Dan Jones, Mobile Editor, Light Reading