SDN's Progress Is Worth Debating
Inconclusive survey results are always good fodder for a lively debate, and that's the case with the findings of an SDN Progress Report just issued by Juniper Networks.
Online interviews with 400 IT decision-makers in the US found that 52.5% of those surveyed have plans to adopt SDN, while the other 47.5% have no plans to adopt SDN. (See US Firms Split on SDN: Juniper Survey .)
The results are not split exactly down the middle: By a small margin, more companies said they are planning to deploy SDN. But the Negative Nancy in me is drawn more to what I feel is a pretty high percentage of companies that have no SDN plans at all.
As much as we all talk about SDN and its benefits, and have tried to address the possible hurdle to adoption, I imagined the number of companies with deployment plans versus those with none would be more like 60%/40% at the very least by now.
Yet, I realize the other argument here: "Youíre a fool, Dan," some of you are thinking. "If there is something surprise here, it is how quickly SDN has come a very long way to become firmly entrenched is the minds and network blueprints of some many companies. If 52.5% of the market wants something, it absolutely justifies the moves of vendors that were quick to embrace SDN and invest in it."
"And also, Negative Nancy," you're probably still thinking, "if 47.5% of those surveyed do not have SDN adoption plans, it does not mean that they will never have SDN adoption plans. The number of those planning to adopt only will continue to increase."
Your internal dialogue isn't necessarily wrong, but the survey results are also very clear about the ongoing challenges for SDN adoption, something we have debated in depth in recent months. (See 3 Barriers to SDN Adoption and SDN Faces a Human Hurdle .)
So how do you interpret these survey results? Are you a Negative Nancy, or a -- wait for it -- Positive Paulina? Do these survey results suggest SDN's progress is right about where it should be, or a little wanting?
Let us know on the comment board below.
ó Dan O'Shea, Managing Editor, Light Reading