& cplSiteName &

Verizon & Redbox Boot Up Web Video Service

Jeff Baumgartner
LR Cable News Analysis
Jeff Baumgartner
7/24/2012
50%
50%

A joint video rental and streaming service from Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) and Redbox Automated Retail LLC that's poised to battle with Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) is reportedly in "alpha" testing as the venture boots up a website and reveals the execs who will run it.

AllThingsD says initial testing is already underway, with a full launch expected later this year.

Verizon and Coinstar announced their partnership in February, but didn't say much about what the resulting product would look like or how much it would cost. They're still mum on those details, but they do have a Redbox-branded logo for the service, to be called Redbox Instant by Verizon. Verizon owns 65 percent of the venture, with Redbox holding the remaining 35 percent.



In a blog posted Tuesday (registration required), BTIG Research analyst Richard Greenfield speculated that the Redbox/Verizon combo will cost $10 to $12 per month with unlimited streaming of the J.V.'s online catalog, and offer access to newer titles using credits that can be redeemed at Redbox's DVD rental kiosks. AllThingsD believes the product will emphasize movies more so than TV shows and series.

While still short on product details, the J.V. has revealed the execs who will run it, starting with CEO Shawn Strickland, who helped Verizon get FiOS off the ground. Four other Verizon FiOS execs are joining his team: Chief Technology Officer Jack Gallaher; Chief Product Officer Joe Ambeault; VP of Business Development and Performance Management Pete Castleton; and VP of Customer Operations Tina Altmann. Redbox's ex-VP of Marketing Amy Gibby has joined the group as chief marketing offer.

Why this matters
For Netflix, it means it's about to face some new competition with deep pockets. The number of FiOS execs heading over to run it speaks to the importance Verizon is placing on the new joint venture as more consumers go online to fulfill their video entertainment needs. The Verizon/Redbox service is also coming into view after Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) launched Streampix, a premium-level VoD and Web video streaming service that some view as a way to blunt an emerging cord-cutting trend.

For more

  • Verizon & Redbox Target Netflix
  • Redbox Streams After Netflix
  • Comcast Goes OTT to Target Netflix, Hulu Plus

    — Jeff Baumgartner, Site Editor, Light Reading Cable

    (0)  | 
    Comment  | 
    Print  | 
  • Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View        ADD A COMMENT
    Featured Video
    From The Founder
    Light Reading founder Steve Saunders talks with VMware's Shekar Ayyar, who explains why cloud architectures are becoming more distributed, what that means for workloads, and why telcos can still be significant cloud services players.
    Flash Poll
    Upcoming Live Events
    May 14-16, 2018, Austin Convention Center
    May 14, 2018, Brazos Hall, Austin, Texas
    September 24-26, 2018, Westin Westminster, Denver
    October 9, 2018, The Westin Times Square, New York
    October 23, 2018, Georgia World Congress Centre, Atlanta, GA
    November 7-8, 2018, London, United Kingdom
    November 8, 2018, The Montcalm by Marble Arch, London
    November 15, 2018, The Westin Times Square, New York
    December 4-6, 2018, Lisbon, Portugal
    All Upcoming Live Events
    Hot Topics
    I'm Back for the Future of Communications
    Phil Harvey, US News Editor, 4/20/2018
    BDAC Blowback – Ex-Chair Arrested
    Mari Silbey, Senior Editor, Cable/Video, 4/17/2018
    Verizon: Lack of Interoperability, Consistency Slows Automation
    Carol Wilson, Editor-at-large, 4/18/2018
    AT&T Exec Dishes That He's Not So Hot on Rival-Partner Comcast
    Mari Silbey, Senior Editor, Cable/Video, 4/19/2018
    Facebook Hearings Were the TIP of the Data Iceberg
    Dan Jones, Mobile Editor, 4/20/2018
    Animals with Phones
    I Heard There Was a Dresscode... Click Here
    Live Digital Audio

    A CSP's digital transformation involves so much more than technology. Crucial – and often most challenging – is the cultural transformation that goes along with it. As Sigma's Chief Technology Officer, Catherine Michel has extensive experience with technology as she leads the company's entire product portfolio and strategy. But she's also no stranger to merging technology and culture, having taken a company — Tribold — from inception to acquisition (by Sigma in 2013), and she continues to advise service providers on how to drive their own transformations. This impressive female leader and vocal advocate for other women in the industry will join Women in Comms for a live radio show to discuss all things digital transformation, including the cultural transformation that goes along with it.

    Like Us on Facebook
    Twitter Feed